Your braces may be off and your smile may be beautiful, but… you’re not finished yet! Retainers are a critical phase of orthodontic treatment. The success or failure of your case depends upon strict compliance when it comes to wearing these appliances.
- Wear your retainers full time until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating… and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm, but not hot, water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth, they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers or if your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive. With proper care, they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
And don’t forget to come back and see us for routine cleanings and dental care to keep your gorgeous smile…well…gorgeous!